IDLab (Internet Technology and Data Science Lab) is a joint research initiative between the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. The researchers focus on internet technologies and data science. They develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics.
Research at IDLab targets the most daunting challenges industry is facing to deliver the digital transformation, connecting everything and extracting high value from data.
The need to dynamically and rapidly process an ever-increasing amount of data (Smart Cities, Internet-of-Things, etc.) is driving innovation in Cloud technology and scalable data processing architectures.
At IDLab we therefore perform both industry-applied and fundamental research on:
- Automated setup and configuration of highly scalable and efficient distributed big data processing architectures.
- Optimisation of multi-cloud resource usage to e.g. minimise cost, improve application resilience or provide various cost/processing speed trade-off levels.
- Distributed application development methods and tools focussed on enhancing developer productivity and with inherent support for application reliability levels and load balancing.
- Efficient data placement strategies (e.g. for content distribution networks).
IDLab technologies like iLab.t and Obelisk are core enablers of projects like imec’s City Of Things, in which hundreds of city-wide deployed smart sensors transform a city into a true Internet-of-Things living lab. In this project Obelisk allows developers to focus on rapidly creating and deploying novel services over this city-wide infrastructure, while iLab.t takes care of automatically configuring and instantiating the required data processing infrastructure, based on monitored load.
Learn more about the cloud key expertise at IDLab.
IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. We develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics.
Learn more about the cloud based applications from IDLab.
The participating team from IDLab – imec are :
- Prof. Dr. Bruno Volckaert
- Dr. Ing. Jerico Moeyersons
- Dr. Ing. Merlijn Sebrechts
Read more about the IDLab at Ghent University team.
IDLab has a large Research Infrastructure available for experimentation.
IDLab is part of the imec research facilities in Flanders.
Our goal is not only to be a worldwide leader in R&D. We also want to combine that global excellence with local citizenship. In the regions where we are present, we engage in high-impact projects with local businesses and governments.